NEWS TO KNOW
Our daily roundup of headlines from Virginia and elsewhere.
• Gov. Ralph Northam is expected to call for in-person summer school to give students extra time in classrooms and address pandemic learning loss.—Richmond Times-Dispatch
• Sticking to an earlier promise, Northam called a special session to extend the General Assembly’s 2021 work to 46 days instead of 30.—Associated Press
• The House of Delegates passed a bill to give college scholarships to descendants of enslaved workers. The plan applies to five universities that relied on slave labor.—Richmond Times-Dispatch
• The state Senate approved legislation to restrict how law enforcement uses data collected by license plate readers.—Roanoke Times
• A proposal to scrap state legislators’ immunity from criminal prosecution during sessions failed in a Senate committee.—WVTF
• A new CNU poll shows most Black Virginians and Republicans are hesitant to…